Thursday, August 2, 2018

Hidden Gems of Northern New Mexico (Part Two: Waterfall Haven)

Part two of exploration in northern New Mexico. This time, seeking a region in the northern Nacimiento Mountains that is incredibly dense with waterfalls! The Rito Resumidero, Rio Puerco, and Rito Redondo all cut their way steeply down canyons here, pouring over a precipice on more than one occasion.
Peering east from an overlook above Resumidero Box

After my exploration of Cañon de Coloures, I drove south across the highway into the Nacimiento Mountains. The impending rains were rather forgiving and allowed me to continue exploration. I drove past the Resumidero Campground, and although I had never heard of it, I seemed to be the only one! The campground was incredibly busy and full of RV's, trucks, ATV's, moms, dads, children, etc.
Top tier of Resumidero Box Fals

I drove past the campground until I crossed the Rito Resumidero. Shortly after, I parked and found an overlook which peered down to Resumidero Box Falls, a three tiered waterfall that drops down about 70 feet. The top tier drops through a small hole in the rock into a lovely looking pool!
Top two tiers of Resumidero Box Falls

I continued down the forest road to a pulloff I had anticipated, parked next to a large family camping, and made my way downhill. I knew where I was heading, but some trails made it even easier to find. I ended up at the edge of a deep box canyon that echoed with the roar of falling water. Venturing out to the edge produced my first view of the two-tiered waterfall that fed down to the large and photogenic Lichen Falls below.
Beautiful flowers right off the road along the Rito Redondo

Lichen Falls was my primary reason for visiting this area. A sixty footer that drops into the deep and lush gorge down rock that is bright green with moss and lichen, it is a proud waterfall that should be a destination on more peoples' radar! This is probably the Rio Puerco at its most exciting point. A steep "trail" from the rim heads straight down to the base of the falls. The setting is quite dramatic with the walls of the gorge rising above you on three sides.
Loud and proud Lichen Falls

If you head downstream, you intersect the Resumidero Gorge, which is home to Echo Falls, a 50 foot waterfall in another box. I attempted to head downstream and quickly came across a 20 foot waterfall. There was no way to downclimb the waterfall safely, so I attempted to traverse a game trail on the side of the canyon and then drop down below the waterfall. However, it was frighteningly loose and exposed to an ankle breaker landing and I felt it best to not risk that while out there alone.

This was the end of exploration for this weekend, but it was quite fruitful!! Lichen Falls quickly rose to become one of my favorite waterfalls in the state, right behind Brazos Falls during snowmelt. Another visit will happen soon to visit Echo Falls, Double Box Falls, Vivian Falls, and Rio Puerco Falls. But may the pictures of Lichen Falls serve as inspiration to you all!
View looking east from the rim, with Cerro Pedernal off in the distance

As beautiful as it is in photos, it is even better in person. Doug Scott's website again is a very valuable resource to this area. But don't just take my word for it, get out and see for yourself!

1 comment:

  1. hello Doug.Was here in early 2021 and plan to revisit and also cover other falls in the area. Thanks for the coords. This a gorgeous forest area.
    Byron Makarwich

    ReplyDelete